Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Worlds Best Vista Craplet Cleaner

When I first installed Windows Vista Ultimate, I was surprised to see only four items in the Startup Programs list. You can be sure that any version of Vista that comes installed on a new computer will have a lot more.

WinPatrol's report on Windows Vista
WinPatrol 2007

The Canadian Broadcasting Corp is reporting on its CES interview with a Microsoft official who implied many startup programs installed by OEM’s would create compatibility problems with Windows Vista.  According to the so-called “Microsoft official” who spoke on the condition of anonymity, “We call them craplets”.   The article goes on to explain, “We can’t do anything about it because it would be illegal.

I’m not sure why they care. The customer isn’t going to be able to call Microsoft to complain, they’ll be calling the computer maker.

As tempting as it may be I don’t think I’m going to adopt the “Craplet” terminology.  I haven’t found anyone at Microsoft who will admit to using the term Craplet.  I am happy to say, WinPatrol has been helping folks remove Craplets since 1997.  If Microsoft really wanted to help remove these programs they should just include WinPatrol as part of Vista.  Wink

 


 

Share on Facebook


5 Comments:

Blogger David said...

"If Microsoft really wanted to help remove these programs they should just include WinPatrol as part of Vista."

Pull a Sysinternals, get hired, and then they might consider it. ;) (Branded with your name in small letters on the bottom of the About page, of course...)

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bill. I was intrigued to see another category Delayed Startups in your WinPatrol Plus screenshot. I have the latest v10.0.5.0 on my XP desktop, but do not have that extra category: any particular reason?
Steve

8:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was wondering if anyone was going to notice the new Delayed Start tab. :)

The next version of WinPatrol will be announced soon and will include a new Delayed Start feature so system startup will be faster than ever.

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha ok...I did notice a hint of an update you plan for next month, when I researched the WP site before posting yesterday.

5:15 PM  
Blogger Corrine said...

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2007/01/12/100-million-ie7-installations.aspx#1471285 ;)

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home